(Quebec) Couillard The government defended the investigative work conducted by the Surete du Quebec (SQ) on alleged abuse by police against its own indigenous. However, he entrusted the investigation to the Police Department of the City of Montreal (SPVM) recognizing that “people do not trust” the initial process.
Lise Thériault defends the SQ investigation work
The Minister of Public Safety, Lise Thériault, reacted emotionally to allegations of sexual assault and abuse of power allegedly committed by police officers against indigenous Val gold. She even had to interrupt his briefing to hold tears.
“I’m as shocked as the population,” she acknowledged, hoarse voice.
The Minister announced that the eight police officers targeted by the allegations of sexual assault and abuse of authority were placed in “administrative withdrawal”. The Acting Director of the local SQ station was replaced. And Deputy Minister of Police Affairs was dispatched in Val-d’Or.
At the request of the Director General of the SQ, the investigation will be entrusted to the SPVM, confirmed the minister.
Thériault had to defend himself for not having reacted sooner. The actions committed by SQ officers allegedly committed in May and it was not until after the broadcast of a report on Radio-Canada that occurred Friday’s ads.
“We could not have done more, she said. In the report, there are facts that have not been reported to the police. ”
It ensures that the survey work carried out by the SQ was adequate and followed the process. But recognizes that the population does not believe that the police force is able to investigate its own officers.
“It’s not because there were gaps (in the SQ investigation), she has said. This is simply because people do not trust the fact that this is the SQ investigation department. So to restore this trust, the Director General of the SQ asks me to transfer the investigation. ”
SQ examined 14 incidents involving eight police officers between 2002 and 2015. A total of 12 complainants came forward.
A woman told Radio-Canada have been brought by police officers in an isolated way. The officers reportedly asked her to do them a blowjob return $ 200. Another recounted a procedure during which police allegedly destroyed his cell phone and started his shoes in the snow before leaving on a road located kilometers from his home.
SQ changes his boss in Val-d’Or
The Sûreté du Québec has changed the pattern of his secondment in Val-d’Or, in the wake of CBC revelations of serious allegations against its officers.
Guy Lapointe, the police force responsible for media relations, also reiterated that eight officers were suspended this morning, the time an investigation is completed.
“As soon as we had information that there were allegations, we acted immediately,” Mr. Lapointe said. “The SQ considers these alleged behavior is completely unacceptable.”
This is the captain Ginette Séguin will take the reins of the police station of Val-d’Or. It has no connection with the area.
– Teisceira-Philippe Lessard, La Presse, Montreal
A public and independent investigation is claimed
Following the broadcast of a disturbing CBC report on abuse suffered by Aboriginal women in Val-d’Or, community stakeholders and local authorities are calling for public and independent investigations into these events and more largely, on missing and murdered Aboriginal women.
Édith Cloutier, executive director of the Native Friendship Centre in Val-d’Or, said at a news conference Friday that the Quebec government had the responsibility to ensure the safety of all its citizens. It has claimed so “urgent” a government inquiry into the specific case of Val-d’Or and an independent commission of inquiry on missing and murdered women.
She recalled that several other women had been victims of these abuses, calling the situation a “national tragedy.”
Ms. Cloutier had also requested that eight policemen targeted by investigations be suspended temporarily – a request which was granted a few minutes later by the Minister of Public Safety Lise Thériault.
“Do not act is an accomplice,” argued Ms. Cloutier.
The First Nation Chief David Abitibiwinni Kistabish has also urged the prime minister appointed Justin Trudeau to implement “now” his promise to establish a public inquiry on missing and murdered Aboriginal women.
“I am disturbed. As a father, I am disgusted. As Algonquin, I am wounded. As chief, I am shocked, “he ruled.
Mr. Kistabish stressed that Quebec had also its responsibilities in this matter, stressing the need to “take stock, nation to nation.”
“As leader of my community, I will not stand idly by, and I will not stay invisible (…) Mr. Trudeau, Mr. Couillard, I ask you to take action,” he said .
“We demand justice. Justice for women who have been abused, mistreated. Justice for children who are abandoned, ignored by government authorities, “he said.
What Ms. Cloutier and the indigenous leader were preceded by the emotional testimony of family Sindy Ruperthouse, which is now missing for 17 months.
“They snatched our daughter. We are no longer the same. It lacks a part of our family, “said his father painfully, Johnny Wylde.
Family Sindy Ruperthouse had alerted the authorities to the disappearance of women 44 years and was reportedly told that she had waited too long to do it. The police had said at the time that they would wait snowmelt in spring 2015, before starting research, but nothing has been done, said Mr Wylde.
“We feel clueless about the situation,” he argued.