(Quebec) Expo Québec will not be back in 2016, at least in its current form. Quebec City on Friday launched a “call for interest” to obtain proposals for “the development and operation of a summer festival on the ExpoCité site.”
Reached by Le Soleil, president of ExpoCité, Vincent Dufresne, says it is the logical continuation of the “implementation of the report of Daniel Gélinas [filed in April]. We started with a vision for the Public Place Jean-Béliveau, we continued with the proposal calling for the public market. And this time, it continues with the call for proposals for Expo Quebec, “he says.
Demand, which excludes Videotron Centre is made for summers 2016 and 2017. The period of the summer festival and duration Aura latter is at the discretion of the developer, it said in the document. This means that the selected project does not necessarily hold the same dates Expo Québec was taking place during the summer or at the end of August. The last festival was also held from August 14 to 23.
Despite the efforts of Quebec City Mayor Régis Labeaume, to “turn the edge of the boat” so that it finds the path to profitability in 2015 will have been the last year of the carnival as we know it. The City is now looking for a project that “seeks a broad and diversified audience, emphasizing both the family.” It must be “a great summer gathering where the game, the discovery, the atmosphere and the animation are central in the experience of the party.” Furthermore, “the event is to bring forward local talent.”
Interested companies must submit their documents no later than December 15, 2015 at 10:30. They must possess a sound knowledge of particular field event or more years of experience as a manager of events.
“At the end of this invitation to interest one or more concepts may be detained,” said the City.
In recent months, Mr. Labeaume has often spoken of the need to make major changes in modeled Expo Québec. For the carnival of 2015, he said, including the need to return to base. Pricing and programming were notably journals, which enabled the organization to make a profit of $ 160,000, while the two previous editions were in deficit. The hole was $ 1.1 million in 2013 and $ 700,000 in 2014.
In August, despite a positive end edition, the mayor handed still doubt the future of Expo Québec. “The question we now ask is what can replace Expo Quebec?” He said, adding Gélinas have used the report for reflection.