(Quebec) Earth from our ancestors, earth exploration, land of welcome and innovation, Canada is a vast country with distinct cultures and eventful history. On the occasion of the national holiday of Canada, we offer a friendly quiz to test your knowledge on the subject. Check your answers with the table at the bottom of the document. Have fun!
1. Who composed the music for O Canada?
a) Adolphe-Basile Routhier
b) Calixa Lavallée
c) George-Étienne Cartier
d) Ludger Duvernay
2. Who led the Upper Canada Rebellion in 1837?
a) Louis-Joseph Papineau
b) William Lyon Mackenzie
c) Louis-Hippolyte La Fontaine
d) François-Marie-Thomas Chevalier de Lorimier
3. What is the motto of the Prince Edward Island?
a) “Loyal she began, loyal she remains”
b) “Our peoples, our strength”
c) “Seek first the kingdom of God”
d) “Large protect small”
4. In which city was born environmentalist David Suzuki?
5. What political event happened in 1982?
a) The second oil shock
b) Obtaining the status of Commonwealth member
c) The abolition of slavery
d) The repatriation of the Canadian Constitution
6. Which Canadian artist was ordained Zen Buddhist monk in 1996?
a) Roch Voisine
b) Leonard Cohen
c) Michael Bublé
d) Neil Young
7. Which of these national parks is not listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site?
a) Banff National Park
b) Gros Morne National Park
c) Jasper National Park
d) Forillon National Park
8. What is the national summer sport of Canada?
c) the butt
9. How many times Canada was he was host of the Olympics?
c) three times
d) four times
10. In what year the Canadians they had the right to vote without restrictions in federal elections?
11. Which province Terry Fox he began his Marathon of Hope?
a) Prince Edward Island
b) Nova Scotia
d) British Columbia
12. Wapusk National Park in north-eastern Manitoba is famous for …
a) its thermal springs
b) its spectacular cliffs
c) the birth of polar bears
d) its dinosaur fossils
13. In what year did Nunavut become a constitutional entity?
14. Which island is attached to Nova Scotia?
a) Cape Breton
b) Saint Pierre and Miquelon
c) Belle Isle
d) White Island
15. What sport Canadian James Naismith invented there in 1891?
b) the butt
Sources: encyclopediecanadienne.ca, pch.gc.ca, justice.gc.ca, radio-canada.ca, terryfox.org, larousse.fr, historicacanada.ca
A sincere thank you to Denis Vaugeois, historian, for his enlightened view.
=> Answers to the quiz