More than 700 000 migrants and refugees have crossed the Mediterranean in 2015

depuis-debut-mois-octobre-seulementThe migration crisis that saw 700,000 migrants and refugees arrive in Europe via the Mediterranean since January is likely to worsen, warned Tuesday the president of the European Council Donald Tusk, by testing cooperation already delicate, between countries the EU.

This year, a total of 705,200 migrants and refugees have crossed the Mediterranean, according to the latest UNHCR data: 562,355 people joined Greece and Italy 140,000. In Greece, the Syrians represent 64% of arrivals.

And “the situation will further deteriorate,” warned Donald Tusk during a debate at the European Parliament in Strasbourg, citing “the new wave of refugees from Aleppo and Russian bombing regions in Syria”, which caused displacement “of more than 100 000” people.

In Greece, “the number of arrivals continues to be high,” “despite the deteriorating weather this weekend,” says the International Organization for Migration (IOM).

Since the beginning of October, there are more than 160 000 have arrived in the Greek islands from Turkey, whose 99,000 landed on the island of Lesbos, Chios 22000, 21500 and 7500 in Samos Leros, according to IOM.

In Italy, 7230 migrants arrived in October, against more than 15 000 for the same period last year. IOM attributed this decline to the fact that the Syrians do not pass through Italy to reach Europe, but Turkey and Greece.

These men, women and children of all ages then continue their journey towards the north of the EU along the route of the Western Balkans, where Macedonia, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria struggle to organize their transit through good conditions.

“Do better”

“We must do better because we may not be equal,” stressed the president of the European Commission, Jean-Claude Juncker, during the debate in the European Parliament, pointing to the slow pace of implementation work of the reception of refugees in the EU distribution plan, from registration centers (so-called “hot spots”) in Italy and Greece.

Buses and trains day and night through the Balkans to transport refugees from one border to the other, where long hours or days waiting in the cold are necessary before being registered and power continue the journey.

Some 11 500 people had come to Croatia on Saturday. A daily record. They were about 7000 on Monday.

Slovenia has seen pass more than 86 000 people since that Hungary has closed one second border with Croatia, there are ten days, some 14,000 migrants were supported in Tuesday’s home country structures.

The Slovenian government, who said he overwhelmed by the influx, hope the emergency plan adopted at the European mini-summit on Sunday will help better contain the situation.

The plan includes the creation of 100 000 accommodation places in Greece and the Balkans as well as better coordination between countries along the Balkan route.

The Slovenian Minister of Foreign Affairs Karl Erjavec, quoted by the Slovenian news agency STA, warned that “If the situation worsens and the Brussels action plan is not implemented, Slovenia has prepared several scenarios “including” the installation of a fence guarded. ”

As it stands, Ljubljana and Zagreb seem to communicate a little more than the past few days and try to set up a passage of their border by train, to reduce pressure on the small Slovenian town of Brezice (150 inhabitants), where columns of thousands of people framed by the security forces transit every day walk through the country roads and fields.

In the next step of the road, between Austria and Germany, the situation was not easier with bitter exchanges on both sides.

The leader of Bavaria, Horst Seehofer, strongly attacked the Austrian authorities whom he accused of sending thousands of refugees to Germany without prior notice to its region. Austrian police rejected the accusations, saying that Bavaria is excessively filter the entries.

Share
The Stopru