PHOTOS – Lebanon: a double suicide bombing killed at least 43 dead in Beirut

ATTACK – At least 43 people were killed and 239 injured Thursday in a double suicide bombing in a Hezbollah stronghold in south Beirut, Lebanon. Sunni jihadist group has claimed the attack Daech.

A balance sheet that is expected to rise. An attack claimed by the Islamic State jihadist group (EI) against a stronghold of the Shiite movement Hezbollah on Thursday south of Beirut, was 43 dead and 239 wounded, according to revised figures provided by the Lebanese Red Cross Friday. Several of the injured are in critical condition, said the same source. A previous review reported 41 dead and 181 wounded.
beytut1

beytut2

beytut3

beytut4

beytut5
Friday, families were preparing to bury their dead as the country observed a day of national mourning including the closure of public and private schools.

Two explosions in a shopping street

It is the deadliest attack committed by EI in Lebanon and one of the bloodiest since the end of the civil war (1975-1990). A first attack claimed by the jihadist group had been four deaths in January 2014 against a stronghold of the Shiite Hezbollah. Thursday’s attack took place in a crowded shopping street in the district of Bourj al-Barajné, in the southern suburbs of Beirut. The army said two men have successively detonated their explosive belts and a third “terrorist” who was unable to detonate his belt was found dead.

But the EI while speaking of two attacks, reported one suicide bomber. “Caliphate Soldiers managed to detonate a bomb motorcycle parked against a gathering of ‘Rafida”, pejorative term denoting the Shiites, and “after that apostates are rushed to the scene, one of the martyrdom of knights detonated his explosive belt in the middle of the group, “said EI.

The EI and Hezbollah, an ally of the regime in neighboring Syria, are at war in this country torn by increasingly complex conflict that since 2011 more than 250,000 dead.

Share
The Stopru