The “flushgate” draws to a close

ville-montreal-finalement-pu-effectuerAfter weeks of controversy, the “flushgate” coming to an end. The City of Montreal announced late Saturday afternoon the return to service of the interceptor Southeast, three days earlier than expected. Some discharges of waste water less important than those of recent days, however, are still to be expected.

The work, which was to last seven days, have finally resulted in a release of waste water over a period of 89 hours. A first section of 17 km had been returned to service in the evening on Friday. The work on the interceptor being executed, the biggest spill is now complete.

Work is continuing on the Riverside but snow chute and wastewater discharges are still planned but on a smaller scale. The City estimates that up to 4.9 billion liters of wastewater discharged directly into the river, rather than the eight billion initially measured.

“Spills that remain are incommensurate with those last hours, told La Presse Philippe Sabourin, public relations officer for the City of Montreal. “We were talking about 13 cubic meters of wastewater discharged to the second when we estimated that 0.8 cubic meter per second the next few spills.”

The work of the Riverside snow chute should not exceed 10 days, at a rate of seven hours a day. So these are those hours of work will be made up of spills.

“Consequently, the prohibition of contact with water will be maintained for a very localized area of ​​Old Montreal: Habitat 67 and King Edward sector,” said the City of Montreal in a press release.

Share
The Stopru