Work on the Turcot Interchange: a conductive nearly died

conductrice-circulait-rue-saint-jacquesThe work on the major project to the Turcot Interchange had nearly cost the life of a woman who was traveling rue Saint-Jacques, last November. She went within a whisker of being impaled by a steel reinforcing rod one meter “powered” on his windshield while moving pieces of concrete. But even if the contractor had not erected wall of regulatory protection, no offense was not issued.

“She was very lucky! “Repeated Laurent Gingras, spokesman for the police department of the City of Montreal (SPVM). The core wire of the construction site has “perforated the windshield on the driver’s side,” while the woman was traveling eastbound in Saint-Jacques Street, between Saint-Rémi Street and Decarie Boulevard, 10 Last November 15 to 25 h.

Miraculously, the metal bar went just to the right of his face and ended up in the back of the vehicle, on the passenger side. In shock, the driver called 911. But she was so shaken that the policemen themselves transported to the hospital to treat his nervous shock, since the ambulance was late in arriving. No criminal offense has been committed in this case, as the SPVM.

A projected metal rod

That day, the company LA Hébert broke the concrete slab of a part of the Saint-Jacques Street in the redevelopment of Rue Saint-Jacques, Saint-Remi and Pullman, a project of 57 million. That’s when we picked up with a shovel broken pieces of concrete at a hydraulic hammer rebar turned into projectile.

However, the concrete should contain only the metal lattice. The reinforcing rods had therefore been added in previous repairs. “The reinforcing rods is more massive than the wire mesh. There is therefore one of these rods there has not been severed. She was subjected to a voltage, and when the shovel debris picked up, the rod was thrust out of the yard, when the motorist was traveling, “says Patricia Darilus, spokesman for the Standards Commission , equity, health and safety (CNESST previously CSST).

Break concrete with a hydraulic hammer was nothing “unusual”, says Patricia Darilus. After the suspension of the work, the contractor LA Hébert however preferred method “more appropriate” under the circumstances, by cutting the concrete blocks to make sure to cut all the stems.

Two days after the accident, an inspector of the CNESST gave four days to the employer and the Department of Transport (MTQ) to erect a “protective screen in the work area on rue Saint-Jacques” reads in the intervention report obtained by La Presse. What was done.

“If the wall had been erected, the accident could have been avoided most likely for conducting” said Patricia Darilus, spokesman of CNESST.

Although concrete breaking work was done only three meters from the street, only a wall “Jersey” one meter protect pedestrians and motorists. However, Article 2.7.2 of the Safety Code for the construction work requires the installation of a protective wall three meters when the lane is two meters or more. “It should have been a protective wall erected above the Jersey,” added Ms. Darilus.

Despite this serious breach of the Health and Safety at Work Act, the company LA Hébert is doing fine without. “The opportunity to issue a statement [of infringement] depends on several criteria. In this case, management did not consider it appropriate to do so. There are several criteria that are taken into account, “says Patricia Darilus. “The health and safety of the public, this is something important for CNESST,” she says.

Demolition of the Rue Saint-Jacques are currently suspended due to repair works of a sewer line.

Share
The Stopru