Yesterday and today in Kiev held mass events dedicated to 1030 anniversary of the baptism of Kyivan Rus – Ukraine.
What happened yesterday, what’s happening right now, what will happen next and what is generally know about the day, which this year is celebrated on such a scale. Went to investigate.
What happens on July 28
– Began the Procession of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Kyiv Patriarchate. Procession – prayer for Ukraine and for a United Ukrainian Orthodox Church is on the route Vladimir Cathedral – the Vladimir hill.
– The interior Ministry counted 65 thousand participants of the procession. Later, the national police said that the procession for one local Church went quiet.
– The UOC-KP stated that the events for one local Church was attended by up to 150 thousand people.
Photos of the procession
What happened on July 27
– Morning in Kiev passed under the sign of rain and bigger traffic jams. In particular, suffered the center of Kiev. The map can be viewed here.
IMPORTANT: YESTERDAY AND TODAY RESTRICTED TRAFFIC ON SOME STREETS. Full list here.
– At 11:00 was opened the passage on Vladimir hill, where they held a prayer led by Metropolitan Onufry. Later held a Procession.
Update: during the procession of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church on the occasion of the 1030-th anniversary of the baptism of Russia were detained three persons on suspicion in preparation of provocations.
What is known about religious processions
One already took place on Tuesday, July 24. It held the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church (UAOC).
What is the Church?
Today the Ukrainian Orthodoxy is actually divided into three parts: the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church-Kyiv Patriarchate and the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church.
The UAOC is the smallest of the list. 2015, its Primate with the title of Metropolitan of Kiev and all Ukraine was the Metropolitan Macarius (Maletić).
– Yesterday, July 27, the Procession spent the UOC-MP. The gathering place – the Vladimir hill. There at 13:00 began a prayer, at 13:30 the Procession went to the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra, where was the all-night vigil.
Marchers carried eight shrines, of which eve was brought to Kiev. It is the relics of the Holy Prince Vladimir, the myrrh-streaming head of the Holy Martyr Clement, Bishop of Rome, the foot of the Apostle Andrew, the icon of the Apostle Andrew with a particle of his relics and of the cross on which he was crucified, the icon of the virgin “Works”, the icon with relics of the Holy Martyr Vladimir (Bogoyavlensky), the relics of the Martyr St. George, the icon with the relics of St. Seraphim of Sarov.
– Today, on July 28, a Procession is held by the UOC-KP. Procession – prayer for Ukraine and for a United Ukrainian Orthodox Church began on the route Vladimir Cathedral – the Vladimir hill.
ACCORDING TO POLICE, DURING RELIGIOUS PROCESSIONS ON 27 AND 28 JULY WILL BE ATTENDED BY 100 THOUSAND PEOPLE.
Photos of yesterday’s procession
Video of yesterday’s procession
What to read
– A brief history of the holiday. Who is Prince Vladimir and why he baptized Rus.
– What Tomos and why should the creation of a Single Autocephalous Orthodox Church.