Look at this article
The negotiations between China and the United States resumed Thursday morning in Beijing, while the administration Trump threatens to pull in just over two weeks ago a new salvo in the trade war between the two leading economies in the world.
The us Treasury secretary, Steven Mnuchin, and the representative for the Trade, Robert Lighthizer, have shaken the hand of the deputy Prime minister chinese Liu He in front of the photographers prior to talks at the residence diplomatic Diaoyutai, a park to the west of the chinese capital.
Journalists have had to leave the room before the protagonists engage in discussion.
Just before leaving his hotel, Mr. Mnuchin said he was “impatient” to hold these conversations with his chinese contacts.
The United States has given until 1 march to China to find common ground on trade disputes between the two countries, before of from 10 to 25% tariffs on chinese products representing $ 200 billion in annual imports each year.
The us president has however said on Tuesday that it could give China additional time “if we are close to an agreement, a real agreement”.
According to the tenant of the White House, the discussions currently underway will go “very well”.
The interviews, which must be conducted until Friday, has been preceded since Monday in Beijing with discussions of junior level, but nothing has filtered about the content of the talks.
After a renewed optimism as a result of previous discussions in Washington last month, the administration Trump has blown cold in the last week, maintaining that there was “still a lot of work” before the first two world economic powers do not manage to overcome their multiple differences.
Washington, who complained of the huge trade surplus that China generates its bilateral trade, also demands that Beijing halt its practices are deemed unfair: the forced transfer of technology, the “theft” of intellectual property, piracy, as well as the massive subsidies granted to public enterprises to make them national champions.
– “A gastronomic Banquet” -The financial markets appear to be cautiously optimistic these last few days, like the official chinese media that wants to believe that the two powers truly seek to reach an agreement.
“A positive outcome is widely expected,” wrote Thursday the English-language daily Global Times, wanting to see a positive sign in the unconfirmed reports that president Xi Jinping will receive the american delegation Friday.
Beijing will neglect nothing to appease his interlocutors: according to the daily hong kong South China Morning Post, Mr Liu should invite its guests to a “banquet gourmet” in a big restaurant in Beijing, as a gesture of “good will” vis-à-vis the United States.
Donald Trump, however, announced last week that he did not meet with his chinese counterpart before the deadline of early march.
However, “sino-american relations entirely depend on the two leaders, and it will be in the end of Xi and Trump to reach a compromise,” writes the economist, Trey McArver, of the firm of Trivium Research.
In the meantime, the latest figures of china’s foreign trade for the month of January are not of a nature to calm the irritation of the United States: total exports of the country have further increased to 9.1% last month, while imports fell 1.5%.
Beijing has unleashed a new massive surplus of 39.2 billion dollars with the rest of the world, in sharp decline, however, with his score for the month of December (57,06 billion).